We often hear from people who use Natural Calm to ease tummy troubles.
It’s bubbly and warm, which is nice, ‘But what does it do?’ you may well ask.
Natural Calm operates on at least two levels when it comes to digestion:
First, magnesium activates enzymes that break down and absorb fats, proteins and carbs. Without it, we couldn’t convert food into energy, muscle and tissue.
Magnesium also moderates acid in the stomach; it’s an alkaline mineral, which means it counters acid, and at the same time magnesium relaxes spasms in the digestive tract that otherwise can lead to acid reflux.
Somewhat paradoxically, Natural Calm’s magnesium citrate is helpful for those who produce too little stomach acid.
As we age, we generate less stomach acid, but some people are predisposed to low stomach acid. Among other side-effects, insufficient stomach acid can inhibit the absorption of nutrients.
Some forms of magnesium are difficult to digest without sufficient hydrochloric acid in the stomach. As we explain in our post on magnesium and bioavailability, Natural Calm has the advantage over other forms of magnesium because as magnesium citrate, it is already in a highly-absorbable state.
So what if you’re taking Natural Calm and still experiencing digestive issues?
First check, are you preparing it properly?
- For best results, dissolve Natural Calm in the hottest water available and give it a gentle stir.
- Wait for the bubbling and fizzing to settle before drinking. Either add cold water, to bring the temperature down, or allow Natural Calm to cool naturally.
For the magnesium to become ‘ionic’ – that is, for the magnesium molecule to be released into the form most absorbable by your body – it must be fully dissolved, and very hot water is best. That said, you can prepare Natural Calm in cold water. You’ll just want to wait longer – about 15 minutes – for the full dissolution to occur.
People with sensitive stomachs may feel discomfort if they consume the fizz and bubbles before the Natural Calm settles and becomes crystal clear. However, note that the fizzing is a natural reaction during the process by which magnesium citrate is formed.
Next, try taking Natural Calm between meals.
During digestion, stomach acid is required to break down food. Natural Calm’s antacid properties may divert needed acid from the work of breaking down a meal.
Worried about allergies or food sensitivities with Natural Calm?
Natural Calm is a simple product, with very few ingredients.
- The magnesium carbonate is sourced from the ocean; it is a sea salt.
- The citric acid is derived from non-GMO beets, from Belgium.
- There is 0.015 g of organic stevia, an herbal sweetener, per teaspoon of flavoured Natural Calm.
- The fruit flavours, including orange, sweet lemon, raspberry-lemon and cherry, are certified organic. If you choose the unflavoured Natural Calm, there are no added sweeteners or flavours.
If you continue to experience stomach issues while using Natural Calm, consider using a topical form of magnesium instead – like our magnesium chloride spray. Absorbing magnesium through the skin bypasses the digestive tract completely. You may miss the wonderful taste of Natural Calm, but you’ll still get the magnesium your body so definitely needs.
Let us know if you have any questions or comments. We love to hear from you, especially on our Facebook page.