Looking for magnesium-rich recipes? You may not find many for candies and cookies.
Most sweet treats are low in magnesium. Plus, our bodies have to use up the magnesium in our bloodstream to metabolize sugar. (Which could be, in part, why we feel tired and on-edge when we’ve had too much sugar. Magnesium soothes the nervous system, after all.)
We also need magnesium to normalize blood sugar. So, if you’re not getting enough, you could have too much glucose in your blood.
There’s no reason sweet treats have to leave us low in magnesium. In fact, we can easily whip up low-sugar, magnesium-rich treats that will leave us more energized and feeling alive… With a little creativity and some Natural Calm.
Here are three of our favourite magnesium-rich recipes featuring different flavours of Natural Calm.
Magnesium-Rich Double Chocolate Chip Vegan Cookies
This recipe is adapted from Natural Vitality’s CALMFUL LIVING online magazine, with permission.
If you’re looking for healthy cookies that don’t shortcut on flavor; these chocolaty gems do the trick. Don’t let the black beans and flax deter you. These cookies are low in fat and rich in fiber and magnesium—plus, they’re vegan!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- milled flaxseed to taste
- 3 teaspoons orange-flavored Natural Calm
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 14 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut nectar, agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of your food processor or high-powered blender. Process on high for 2 minutes, until mixture is completely smooth.
- If using a food processor, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and process for another 1 minute, until fully combined. If you’re using a blender, pour the wet ingredients into a large clean bowl, followed by the dry ingredients. Mix with a spatula until combined.
- If using a food processor, remove the blade and stir in chocolate chips. If in a bowl from the blended mix, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons at a time onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie.
Bake for 14–16 minutes, until tops are cracked and begin to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
IDo not use unflavoured Natural Calm for this recipe. Testing shows that orange flavoured Natural Calm works best. To store cookies, transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for five days.
Keto-Friendly White Chocolate Magnesium Lemon Drops Recipe
By Leanne Vogel, Holistic Nutritionist and Wellness Expert, Healthful Pursuit. Published here with permission from Calmful Living by Natural Vitality.
Activate your body’s most natural cleansing process (ketone generation) by fueling with these magnesium-rich detox drops as a late-night snack or pre-breakfast option.
By delaying your breakfast for a couple of hours and fueling with fats, you enable your body to switch into fat-burning mode, effectively cleansing your cells far more than any other approach out there.
Also, due to the combination of fats with virtually no carbohydrates or protein, these detox drops will not spike insulin in the slightest. Enjoyed at the first sign of a craving, the drops can eliminate the imbalance at its source, your blood sugar level, making you satiated and providing stable energy.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour (chill)
Serves: 8 (5 drops per serving)
- ¼ cup cacao butter/oil
¼ cup coconut oil
2 teaspoons Natural Calm lemon flavour
Zest from ½ lemon
5 drops alcohol-free stevia
- Place a candy mold, with at least 40 cavities, on a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Add cacao butter and coconut oil to a small saucepan. Heat over very low heat, just to melt.
- Add in remaining ingredients; whisk until Natural Calm has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into candy mold, filling to the top. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer to harden for 1 hour.
- Once hardened, remove lemon drops from the molds and transfer to a container. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 2 months.
Cacao butter is also known as cacao oil. It’s the oil from the cacao bean, the fat in chocolate and the base used in white chocolate. Quality cacao butter has the potential to reduce markers of inflammation with its high levels of antioxidants, benefiting heart, digestive, hormonal and joint health.
Sugar-Free Magnesium Grape Candy Recipe
Recipe and write-up courtesy of Calmful Living by Natural Vitality.
This magnesium-rich recipe for grape “candy” is a delicious afternoon treat and healthy way to satisfy a sugar craving. Sweet and tangy, these are sure to satisfy.
Plus, it’s an easy way to add more vitamins and minerals to your family’s diet!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 0 minutes
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt or organic dairy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Natural Calm*, any flavour
- 1 pound (red or green) grapes, washed and dried
- Mix the yogurt and Calm Specifics Kids together in a medium bowl.
- Add the grapes to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Spoon the grapes onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in rows.
- Freeze the grapes for about 30 minutes, or until yogurt is firm. Enjoy!
*For this recipe, choose our classic Natural Calm magnesium, Natural Calm Plus Calcium, Natural Calm Kids or Calm Balance.
These grape candies can be stored in the freezer until ready to eat. If teeth are sensitive to cold, let them warm up for about 5–10 minutes before enjoying.
Have Your Own Favourite Magnesium-Rich Recipes?
We’d love to hear how you’re using Natural Calm in recipes! Share any of your own favourite magnesium-rich recipes in the comments below.
And if you need more inspiration, check out our holiday recipes, popsicle recipe round-up, and our ice-cream recipes featuring Natural Calm magnesium.