Looking to get calm this holiday season? Get Natural Calm recipes that are perfect for the festive season!
While most people simply add Natural Calm magnesium to hot water and drink it as a hot tea, the natural fruit flavours and organic stevia work beautifully with holiday recipes and add a dose of calm to an otherwise hectic time of year.
As we explained in our post on using Natural Calm in smoothies and cold drinks, Natural Calm becomes absorbable in hot liquid faster than it does in cold liquids.
When preparing Natural Calm in any recipes here that are cool or cold, you can either first dissolve your Natural Calm powder in a very small amount of hot water, or, let it dissolve in the cool liquid for about 15 minutes.
Now, for the naturally calming holiday recipes!
Ginger And Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
Recipe and write-up courtesy of Calmful Living by Natural Vitality.
Who doesn’t love a yummy cup of hot chocolate on a chilly fall day?
Free of dairy, gluten and refined sugars, this Ginger-Pumpkin Hot Chocolate is a healthier version of the traditional favourite. It combines pumpkin purée with fresh ginger, pumpkin spice and cacao powder to create a creamy, spicy treat.
Adding Natural Calm is a great way to give yourself a quick magnesium boost while enjoying your chocolate too!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
- 1½ teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Natural Calm original flavour (optional)
- 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk (optional)
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Add ingredients to a small pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Divide into two mugs and serve warm.
- Top with coconut milk and nutmeg, if desired.
Cranberry & Cherry Mulled Wine
Recipe and image courtesy of Natural Vitality’s CALMFUL LIVING online magazine
This delicious, warming mulled wine or fruit drink with a dash of Natural Calm is the perfect antidote to holiday stress. Whip up a batch for a crowd-pleasing, make-your-house-smell-wonderful holiday drink. Cheers!
- 3 cups fruity red wine (For an alcohol-free version, replace wine with 2 cups cranberry juice and 2 cups apple cider)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2½ tbsp Cherry Natural Calm
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, juiced
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- Orange zest or peel for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into mug and serve with an orange garnish.
Alcohol-Free Holiday Sangria
By Sonnet Lauberth, Holistic Health Coach, author of In Sonnet’s Kitchen. Republished with permission from Calmful Living by Natural Vitality.
Let’s face it: the holidays can be a little stressful. Between cold, dark days, lots of projects to finish before the end of the year, retail madness, holiday office parties, and visiting family, I think most of us feel a little run-down and overwhelmed.
I wanted to create a fun, festive mocktail that uses magnesium as a base to help all of us feel a little better and take better care of our bodies. It’s also a wonderful alternative to traditional holiday drinks and provides a healthier option for those of us who chose not to indulge in alcohol.
I really loved using cranberries in this drink for colour to brighten it up. I left them whole for their colour; but if you want them to add more of their flavor, you can slice the cranberries in half or sub another fruit like pomegranate seeds or orange slices.
If you are serving this for a crowd, I like to mix it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge. Or, simply add ice and then serve immediately.
- 6 teaspoons Natural Calm Raspberry-Lemon Flavor magnesium supplement
- 1 quart (32 oz) lukewarm water
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- ½ cup cranberries
- 1–2 cups ice
- Mix the Natural Calm with lukewarm water until well dissolved.
- Add the fruit
- Let chill in the refrigerator until serving; or if serving immediately,
- Add the ice and serve.
If a stronger flavour is desired, add more Natural Calm to taste.
Spiced Pear Apple Cider
This recipe published with permission from Calmful Living by Natural Vitality
Apple cider sweetened naturally with fresh-pressed pear juice, along with relaxing Natural Calm magnesium, spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg for the perfect healthy holiday treat. Recipe by Leanne Vogel, holistic nutritionist and author of Healthful Pursuit.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 4 ripe pears, juiced
- 2 sweet apples, juiced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 teaspoons Natural Calm magnesium
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole nutmegs
- 4 cloves
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove, strain out the cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves and serve.
- Alternatively, remove from the heat and allow to sit for a couple of hours for the flavours to fully develop.
Vegan Cashew Eggnog
Recipe, photo and write-up courtesy of Calmful Living by Natural Vitality.
Dairy-free? Allergic to eggs? Trying to avoid gluten or refined sugar, but still want to enjoy the holiday season? You’ve come to the right place! With this decadent vegan cashew eggnog, you can indulge your sweet tooth while still treating your body right!
This eggnog is made of whole foods like cashews and sweetened with banana and maple syrup. Not only is it loaded with potassium and magnesium, but this eggnog contains healthy fats, protein, and cinnamon, which help to stabilize blood sugar.
And the best part? This deliciously creamy eggnog can be served hot or iced! Use a frozen banana and add ice cubes to thicken the eggnog and create a cold, creamy smoothie.
Or, blend these ingredients and then simmer for 5 minutes in a small saucepan to heat. Be sure to add an extra dash of cinnamon and nutmeg on top before serving!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon Natural Calm original flavour (optional)
- 1 banana, peeled; frozen if serving cold
- 3 ice cubes, if serving cold
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If enjoying cold, serve immediately.
- If enjoying hot, blend ingredients and add to a small saucepan and heat. Serve warm.
Alcohol-Free Cranberry Martini (CALM-tini)
The next time you’re looking to relax and unwind, skip the happy hour and swap out your cosmopolitan for this Antioxidant Cranberry Calm-tini! Not only are cranberries filled with antioxidants, but they help to improve immunity and decrease blood pressure. This Calm-tini also contains magnesium, which has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, help with fatigue and relieve sore muscles.
- Serves: 2
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 0 minutes
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 teaspoons Raspberry-Lemon Flavor Natural Calm
- 16 ounces sparkling water
- Mix cranberry juice with Natural Calm.
- Add sparkling water and ice.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!
Happy Holidays from Natural Calm Canada
We hope you’ve enjoyed these magnesium-rich, naturally calming recipes for the festive season! You can get all flavours of Natural Calm magnesium in our online store.
Shipping is fast and Natural Calm makes a great stocking stuffer for loved ones who experience stress, pain, poor sleep, or any symptom of magnesium deficiency.