This article is adapted from Natural Vitality’s CALMFUL LIVING online magazine, with permission.
See original post here: Heart Health Double-Chocolate-Chip Cookies
If you’re looking for some heart-healthy cookies that don’t shortcut on flavor; these chocolaty gems do the trick. Don’t let the black beans and flax deter you. These cookies are low in fat and rich in fiber and magnesium—all good for your heart.
Everything you love about double-chocolate-chip cookies but with the ingredients your body needs to maintain a strong, healthy heart.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
½ cup cocoa powder
milled flaxseed to taste
3 teaspoons orange-flavored Natural Calm
1 teaspoon sea salt
14 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup coconut nectar, agave nectar or honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
dark chocolate chips to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of your food processor or high-powered blender. Process on high for 2 minutes, until mixture is completely smooth.
- If using a food processor, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and process for another 1 minute, until fully combined. If you’re using a blender, pour the wet ingredients into a large clean bowl, followed by the dry ingredients. Mix with a spatula until combined.
- If using a food processor, remove the blade and stir in chocolate chips. If in a bowl from the blended mix, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons at a time onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie.
- Bake for 14–16 minutes, until tops are cracked and begin to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- If honey is used, the recipe is no longer vegan. Do not use unflavoured Natural Calm for this recipe. Testing shows that orange flavoured Natural Calm works best. To store cookies, transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for five days.