Traditional dairy-based ice cream doesn’t have much magnesium. In fact, it’s mostly just saturated fats and refined sugars. We’ve given tradition a makeover here and made magnesium ice cream!
Featuring Natural Calm magnesium in different fruit flavours, these recipes let you cool off while getting calm. Plus, there’s no dairy — these are all vegan — and we’ve used sugar alternatives, like maple syrup and stevia. (Use honey if you’re not vegan.)
Now you can get all of the stress-busting benefits of Natural Calm magnesium while you cool off with healthy ice cream.
Strawberry Coconut Magnesium Ice Cream Recipe (Dairy-Free)
Recipe and image shared with permission from Natural Vitality
With this delicious and healthy Vegan Strawberry Magnesium Ice ‘cCream’, you can enjoy a sweet treat while still taking care of your body!
Paleo or sugar-conscious? Good news. We’ve used natural sweeteners (maple syrup or honey), in combination with stevia (if desired), to create a delicious dessert that won’t spike your blood sugar.
This ice cream is also dairy-free, making it perfect for vegans, those allergic to dairy and anyone trying to eat more healthfully.
Plus, it can be made without an ice-cream maker!
Prep time: 1 hour +
Cooking time: 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped (optional – use mint if preferred)
- 1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 15–20 alcohol-free liquid stevia drops (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Raspberry-Lemon Flavor Natural Calm magnesium (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- Add basil, coconut milk, maple syrup or honey and liquid stevia (if using) to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the Natural Calm (if using). Pour mixture into an ice-cube tray and leave in the freezer overnight.
- Once frozen, add the coconut milk ice cubes to a food processor, along with the strawberries, and, scraping down the sides as necessary, process until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of soft-serve.
- Serve as is, or freeze for an additional hour until the mixture is firm, then scoop and serve.
Raspberry Coconut Magnesium Ice Cream Recipe (Vegan, too!)
This magnesium ice-cream recipe is dairy-free and low in sugar, making it perfect for vegans, paleo peeps, and anyone trying to eat more healthily.
We’re grateful to Natural Vitality’s Organic Connections team for this recipe. According to their foodie folks, you can substitute any fruit of choice or adapt this recipe by adding chocolate chunks, coconut flakes, nuts, or even sprinkles!
Prep Time: 1 hour +
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Raspberry-Lemon Natural Calm magnesium powder
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- Place Natural Calm powder in a glass or mug; add hot water. Let it fizz, then stir until dissolved. Mix with coconut milk and maple syrup.
- Pour coconut mixture into two ice-cube trays and leave in the freezer overnight.
- Once frozen, add the ice cubes to a food processor, along with the raspberries, and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. Serve as is, or freeze for an additional 15–20 minutes until the mixture is firm, then scoop and serve.
Note: If chunkier ice cream is desired, add the raspberries at the very end once the coconut mixture is already smooth.
Vanilla Bean Sugar-Free Vegan Ice Cream Recipe (with Magnesium)
Take a load off, sit in the sun, and restore your body’s healthy magnesium levels with a bowl of fresh vanilla bean ice cream.
Vegan and made from entirely whole foods ingredients, this creamy treat is sweetened with Natural Calm. If you didn’t know, Natural Calm is flavoured with organic fruit and stevia, so it’s a zero cal, zero carb addition.
Many thanks to the team at Natural Vitality for another genius recipe creation. To check out the original US version, click here.
Prep Time: 15 min
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Orange flavoured Natural Calm magnesium
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla bean (optional)
- Add cashews to a clean glass container. Cover with water (not the water listed in the recipe). Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Once complete, strain and rinse.
- Add soaked cashews, 1 cup of water, Natural Calm and vanilla extract to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass container and add in ground vanilla bean, if using. Cover, shake and refrigerate overnight or freeze for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into ice-cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Consume immediately, or transfer to a chilled container and freeze for 2 hours for harder scoops.
Magnesium-Rich Cherry Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
Get your ice cream on minus the cream with this dairy-free recipe.
Sweetened with maple syrup and boosted with a dose of calming magnesium from Natural Calm, this ice cream won’t leave you screaming from sugar withdrawal.
Recipe credits to Natural Vitality. Check out the original US recipe on their Organic Connections site, here.
- 1 teaspoon of Natural Calm magnesium in Cherry flavour
- 1 tablespoon of hot water (to mix with the Natural Calm)
- 1 can of Native Forest organic coconut cream—5.4 fl oz
- 2 cans of Native Forest organic coconut milk—13.5 fl oz per can
- ½ cup of frozen cherries
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Optional: Garnish with fresh mint, whole cherries or chopped nuts.
- Blend organic coconut milk and cream in a blender or large mixing bowl.
- Pour the blended coconut cream and milk into three regular-size ice-cube trays.
- Leave in the freezer overnight. If you don’t have ice-cube trays, leave the cans in the freezer overnight.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot water to 1 teaspoon of cherry Natural Calm and set aside.
- Cut the vanilla pod in two and scoop out the seeds and set aside.
- Remove the ice cube trays from the freezer and pop out. If you didn’t use ice-cube trays, leave the cans out for 10 minutes and scoop out the coconut milk/cream. If you’re scooping out of the can, you might need to loosen up the rim of the can to separate the coconut cream so it’s easier to scoop out, as it can stick to the edges.
- Add all the cubes to a food processor and blend for 5 minutes. If you have a small food processor, add the cubes in two batches.
- Add frozen cherries, maple syrup, cherry Natural Calm (mixed with water) and vanilla bean seeds to the food processor and blend for 2 minutes.
- Place in a tight-seal container in the fridge for an hour.
- Use an ice-cream scooper to scoop ice cream into small bowls.
- Any leftover ice cream can go back in the tight-seal container and be stored in the freezer for 3–4 days. The ice-cream will harden while in the freezer and needs to be left out for 5-15 minutes before re-serving.
If you’d like to add cherry chunks to the ice cream, cut up ½ cup of frozen cherries and manually mix them into the ice cream until they spread evenly. This step can be done after step 7.
Get Your Daily Magnesium (with Ice Cream!)
We hope you’ve enjoyed these recipes for making magnesiu-rich ice cream, without the cream! Natural Calm is a fab flavour boost in each of these and adds sweetness without adding sugar.
Stock up on your Natural Calm in any flavour in our online store.