Do you have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep? According to Stats Canada, 25 percent of us can’t nod off when we’d like to, and 3.3 million are insomniacs.
Getting less than 7 hours a night affects next-day performance. The less sleep, the worse you’ll fare in concentration, decision-making, memory and more.
It’s not just our work life that suffers when we’re short on shut-eye. Sleep deprivation triggers stress; our bodies shift into emergency mode, diverting attention from other important work – like fighting off illness.
And it’s undeniable – sleep really is beautifying. When we’re chronically tired, our muscle tone and skin look less youthful. We gain weight because we crave more high-carb, high-sugar foods, and our metabolism slows down.
We all want the benefits of a full night’s sleep – the question is, how?
Here are 5 tips for getting a deeper, more restful sleep – and falling asleep faster:
- Set a curfew for electronics. Stash smart phones, ipads and laptops at least an hour before bed. Settle down with a book or a quiet activity.
- Fit in exercise at least three hours before bedtime.
- Skip fatty, slow to digest foods late in the evening. Instead, choose magnesium-rich legumes, leafy greens, nuts and seeds.
- Avoid caffeine 8-10 hours before bedtime, or, at a minimum, switch to low-caffeine drinks in the afternoon, like green tea. (Bonus, it’s full of antioxidants!)
- Make your bedroom a no-light zone. Get blackout curtains, wear an eye mask and banish everything electronic that glows.
And importantly, you may have a magnesium deficiency. Up to 65% of Canadians are deficient in magnesium. It’s hurting our sleep – and more. Magnesium is the anti-stress mineral. Without it, our stress levels soar, making proper rest nearly impossible.
Natural Calm magnesium helps to soothe the nervous system while downgrading stress response. Magnesium is so powerful, it also regulates sleep hormones and helps relax muscles. Natural Calm magnesium is your best tool in getting a better night’s sleep.
Try Natural Calm magnesium paired with our Heavenly Sleep melatonin, for hard-to-solve sleep problems. Melatonin is known as the sleep hormone, but to be activated, it needs magnesium. The two work together hand-in-hand for a great night’s sleep.