Earlier on the blog, you may have seen our chocolate walnut spread. For awhile there, we were giving the food processor a workout making our healthy version of Nutella.
This spread is even easier – no food processing required – but just as nutritious. There are only three ingredients and you can whip it together with a spoon.
We call it ‘chocolate peanut butter’ at home when we serve it to our kids, but this spread is actually way healthier than any peanut butter because tahini, the main ingredient, is made with sesame seeds.
Tahini has a slightly bitter flavour, but when prepared like so, it is gloriously sweet and creamy.
Give it a try!
- 1 heaping tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of cacao powder (raw) or cocoa powder
- Optional: a pinch of sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix tahini, honey or maple syrup and cacao until fully combined. Taste. If desired, add more cacao to boost the chocolate flavour.
- A touch of freshly ground sea salt makes this extra-gourmet, but skip it if your salt intake is an issue.
The bread in this photo is homemade, too, but super simple. We bought a pre-packaged bread maker mix and added a ridiculous quantity of sunflower seeds: something like 2.5 cups.
The result? A bread that is dense, grainy and delivers a fairly good percent of your daily magnesium. If one cup of sunflower seeds contains 455 mg of magnesium, then ⅛ of this large loaf delivers about 140 mg. Not bad!
If you can’t get magnesium into your meal in the morning, consider taking your Natural Calm before heading out the door. Many people find they get the best results when they split their total dose into two servings a day – or even boost their total intake by adding a morning serving of Natural Calm.
Try it and let us know what works for you! We like to hang out on Facebook, but you can leave a comment here, too.